Invite friends and family to share a warm, cheesy dip at the next casual get together. It is sure to be a crowd pleaser, you may want to make to make extra.
Healthy Harvest® Pasta Sauce Olive and Basil
|1 tbsp (15 mL)|
|1/2 lb (8 oz)|
onion, finely chopped
red pepper, finely chopped
green pepper, finely chopped
|1 tbsp (15 mL)|
Tex-Mex seasoning blend
|8 oz (250 g)|
plain, brick-style cream cheese, chopped
|1 can (540 mL)|
black beans, drained and rinsed
|1 cup (250 mL)|
shredded cheese, Mexican or taco blend
|1/4 cup (60 mL)|
finely chopped green onion
|1/4 cup (60 m)|
chopped fresh cilantro
jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the onion, red pepper, green pepper and seasoning blend. Cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the sauce and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced. Whisk in the cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the beans. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through; remove from heat.
- Preheat the broiler to high. Toss the cheese with the green onion, cilantro and jalapenos (if using). Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the skillet. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until melted and bubbling. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Omit the ground beef to make a vegetarian friendly dish.
- Bring this dip to the next pot luck by transferring the bean mixture to a casserole dish before topping with cheese.
Nutritional Information per serving (1/8 dip with 8 tortilla chips):
350 calories, 19 g fat, 9 g saturated fat, 63 mg cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 5 g sugar, 16 g protein.